Skip to main content

Shalbourne Parish

It's what you make it...
Home  About Shalbourne  Site Map  Emergencies  Events and Calendar  Organisations  Out & About  Contact Us  Parish Magazine Contacts   
History
Rights of Way
Mobile library

 

Shalbourne
Click here for a thumbnail history of Shalbourne.
 
Shalbourne is first recorded in charters dating to the 10th century, and is mentioned in the Domesday Book. The Village of about 600 people is set in a Downland Conservation area, in an agricultural setting with surrounding woodlands. The bourne divides the parish into a southern area which contains Shalbourne and the hamlets of Rivar and Oxenwood, and the northern areas of Bagshot, Newtown and Stype.
 
The village holds a variety of age groups and occupations, which brings multiple interests, talents, energies and service to create a great friendly community.
 
The church of St Michael and All Angels, dating from the 12th century, is part of the Savernake Team Ministry. The Village Hall was built in 1843 for educational purposes and has been refurbished to make a public meeting place for a variety of gatherings. The Plough Inn by the Village Green is another centre for activities. The Village Primary School, originally built in 1873, has been extended and modernised and has received excellent OFSTED reports.
 
The Shalbourne Club is responsible for a Recreation Field and Pavilion used for Cricket, Tennis, Football, and a play area for children. The Committee also organises events such as a Burns Night supper and Carols on the Green at Christmas, and was instrumental in setting up a Gardening Club.
 
Medical practices are available at Great Bedwyn and Hungerford. There are bus services to Hungerford and Marlborough.