Shalbourne Club was formed in January 1945 when all the village organisations active during wartime met with the aim of "fostering and maintaining the comradeship and team spirit so evident during wartime, and to harness that spirit for post-war social well-being and the good of the village generally; with the main object eventually of providing a village hall and community centre". The Club was presented with a sports ground by Miss Doris Mason and Miss Marguerite de Beaumont in October 1945. This is located in one of Wiltshire's most attractive settings and provides the hub for The Club's activities.
Shalbourne Club is a Registered Charity (No. 1054731) and is administered by a Board of Trustees that meets regularly, currently under the Chair of Phil Matthews. Its formal name is Shalbourne Recreation Society, but it is known locally as 'Shalbourne Club' or, simply 'The Club'.
Its mandate is to maintain and improve the facilities on the sports ground, which include cricket and football pitches, a tennis court, a children's play ground, basketball practise area, boules ground and a magnificent new sports pavilion. The Shalbourne Pavilion was completed in 2017, built with funds raised from village events, donations and a grant from Sport England. The Club holds a number of events during the year to generate income to support and maintain the facilities and grounds. These include the May Day Fair, Classic Car Show, Bonfire Night and other one-off events, but we are always open to new suggestions and ideas.
The Shalbourne Pavilion is available for hire to individuals and groups from Shalbourne - and outside the village. In addition to larger events and weekly fitness classes, The Pavilion can also be used for cricket let days, parties and weddings. To find out more, please visit our website or our Facebook page. The minutes of the latest AGM can be found by clicking here.